After
spending this week listening to and reading all of the hatred being cast at the
LGBT community, I wanted to take the time to voice my support of the LGBT
community. Before I get into my comments
on the controversy at hand, see the following cautionary statements. First, let it be known that many individuals
that are dear to me are a part of the LGBT community. I am aware that everyone has a right to their
own opinion but hateful or obscene language in the comments section will not be
tolerated. You are not being forced to
read this blog post, and indeed most of you will despise everything I have to
say. In that case, I know that I wrote
exactly what needed to be said. I will
not care if you are offended by my viewpoints as I will likely be offended by
yours and you are welcome to be hateful elsewhere. You have been forewarned. Now, I tackle the daunting task of injecting
some rationality into an irrational argument.
This
blog post would have come about without the Chick-Fil-A controversy, however I
found that this controversy provided a window of opportunity to share part of
my thought process of this issue. I
support the concept that marriage should be based on love not the sex of the
individuals seeking marriage.
Chick-Fil-A is a fast food restaurant that has an opinion on same sex
marriage. This notion seems absurd to
me. Such a position does not promote the
Christian values that this company holds in the highest regard. In the end, their stance could cause irreparable
damage to the company.
Throughout the outpouring of support for
Chick-Fil-A, I have happened across some of the most perturbing arguments
against the LGBT community. In one
comment, people described the definition of marriage as inflexible and, as such,
the definition does not allow for same sex marriage. Another comment said allowing a same sex
couple to marry is a direct violation of the sanctity of marriage. Perhaps the most disturbing comment yet, was
that God hates the LGBT community.
There are many arguments concerning
the definition of marriage. According to
the United States Code, 1 USC §7, marriage is defined as, “a legal union
between one man and one woman.” However,
another definition defines marriage as a civil contract. I agree with the civil contract definition
because the first definition is rather religious for a nation that is
secular. To the best of my knowledge, a
contract can be made between two mutually consenting parties. I further argue that banning marriage between
any individual based on the sex of their partner would deprive them of equal
protection under the law as provided to them by the 14th Amendment
of the Constitution. In only permitting
a “legal union” between a man and a woman, the first definition is inherently discriminatory.
One should also bear in mind that
laws have the ability to be changed for the better. Just because the current law appears to be
unfavorable to same sex marriage, do not assume that it will not change. Recall a time in American history when the
Jim Crow Laws forbade the marriage of a white person to a black person. Since the Jim Crow Laws held up so well,
clearly the definition of marriage will remain unchanged forever.
Surely you are about to argue that
the sanctity of marriage needs preserved.
Kindly consult the latest divorce statistics in the United States before
inserting your foot too far into your mouth.
In addition, where were the mass protests for Britney Spears and Kim
Kardashian’s mockeries of the sanctity of marriage? The sanctity of marriage needs protection
from the growing number of divorce, infidelity, and narcissism in America, not
from the LGBT community.
Undoubtedly, in mentioning the
sanctity of marriage, the religious floodgate has been opened. Per my understanding of the Bible, at no point
are Christians told to hate a person for any reason. In fact, Jesus said, “love thy neighbor as
thyself” (Matthew 22:36-40). A Christian’s
duty is to spread God’s love instead of justifying hate, discrimination and bigotry
in the name of God. Most Christians accept
the idea that God created people, with each person being unique in their own
way. Following that idea, how can being
born a member of the LGBT community be wrong?
Since God created each person, whether they are heterosexual, bisexual,
or homosexual I find it difficult to challenge the LGBT community on a
religious basis. Perhaps, some
Christians are so blinded by their hate and intolerance that a world where God
created people to be different is incomprehensible. Christians are not supposed to pass judgment
on others judgment should be left to God on Judgment Day. Stop using religion as a means to oppress a
group of people for being different. God
would not want anyone spreading hate in his name, despite the brutal history of
Christianity. Given the aforementioned
reasons being religious is not a valid reason to hate any person, regardless of
sexual orientation.
The last time I checked, the United
States is a secular nation. In case any
of you have lived under a rock your entire life, there is separation of
religion and state in the United States.
Therefore, I would argue vehemently against religion barring same sex marriage. The government does not meddle in religious affairs
and religion should not meddle with legal equality. I realize that every American is entitled to
their opinion and you are allowed to express your opinion to the fullest extent
of the law, however your rights cannot infringe on another person’s
rights.
In summary: 1) Legal definitions
change continuously. 2) The LGBT community is not violating the sanctity of
marriage. Go bother Britney Spears or Kim Kardashian. 3) According to the Bible
God loves everybody. 4) Stop using religion to justify your hatred,
discrimination, and bigotry. 5) Christians are supposed to spread God’s love
instead of hating in the name of God. 6) The United States is secular. 7) You
are allowed to disagree with me but hateful comments will be deleted
immediately. 8) Chick-Fil-A may have caused irreparable harm to their business
by voicing their political beliefs. 9) Members of the LGBT community are
fighting in the military so you may keep your right to freedom of speech. 10)
When the federal government legalizes same sex marriage, Canada does not want
you.
All of my love to my
LGBT community friends, as always. I
support anyone who increases the amount of love in this cruel world. I invite civilized and intelligent
discussions in the comments section.
Thank you, Stephanie. I agree with you, and it is well said. You model the ability to state opinions in a civilized and caring way. I must admit, I have fallen a bit short of this lately. So I thank you for both what you said and how you said it.
ReplyDelete